Nuit Blanche, briefly, is a sunset-to-sunrise, city-wide art party held once a year here in Toronto. Galleries fling open their doors, performance artists set up "happenings" (happenings? Are they still called happenings or was that just the 60s?) in parking lots, and throngs of hipply-dressed people wander the streets of downtown, nodding their heads knowingly.
Despite our lack of hip clothing, Oliver and I decided the join in this year. Some of the highlights included:
A takeoff of the last supper, set against a backdrop of swiftly-moving clouds and chirping birds. Audience members, 12 at a time, were invited to don white robes and eat a special dish of bread and beans served by the artist.
The Gallery of Ephemeral Music. Set up inside the sanctuary of an Anglican church, the "gallery" consisted of a rotating group of musicians. Intense and free-flowing, they used computers, chimes, violins, and some strange crank-operated box/guitar to make what I guess you could only call "avant garde" music while a light show played on the ceiling.
A re-creation of Toronto's cold war fallout shelter, complete with a space for spectators to "draw what fear looks like".
My favorite though, was an apartment that was completely emptied over t
1 comment:
I wasn't quite sure I understood, so I went to the link for more info...wow...that did look like an amazing night! Inspirational environment to be in!
Post a Comment