One of my favorite details of the day is the poem we had read during the ceremony. To be completely honest, it's actually a couple different Walt Whitman poems, chopped up to fit my needs. Oh! Sacrilege, right? Well... it was my wedding and I got to do what I wanted (that's what I keep telling myself, anyhow). I've read it occasionally over the last year, and I get a little misty eyed every time. Go figure.
I do not offer the old smooth prizes, but offer rough new prizes.
These are the days that must happen to you.
You shall not heap up what is called riches,
You shall scatter with lavish hand all that you earn or achieve.
Allons! To all that which is endless as it was beginningless,
To look up or down no road but it stretches and waits for you.
To take your use out of the compact cities as you pass through,
To carry buildings and streets with you afterward wherever you go,
To gather the minds of men out of their brains as you encounter them,
To gather the love out of their hearts,
To know the universe itself as a road, as many roads, as roads for traveling souls.
Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten and the book on the shelf unopened!
I give you my love more precious than money,
I give you myself before preaching or law,
Will you give me yourself? Will you travel with me?
Shall we stick by each other as long as we live?
2 comments:
Happy anniversary! It really was a great wedding, and it certainly seems that you've had a great year as well.
Post a Comment