7.05.2010

Deutschland Tor!


Germany won another World Cup game this weekend, beating Argentina to move on to the semifinals. We watched it at a local sports bar, and I have to say it was more than a little strange to see Oliver drinking a beer at 10 am. Ah well. That's how it's done, I guess.

The actual strategy/athletics part of the sport still sort of makes my eyes glaze over, but I've found other ways to amuse myself. A couple things I've noticed:

Mesut Oezil. This picture doesn't really show it, but he has the biggest, saddest eyes I've ever seen. He runs around the field looking like an abandoned puppy. And he's 21 - a little baby! I want to take him home - teach him to read, give him a soft toy to play with.



Bastian Schweinsteiger (in black). The literal translation of his last name is "pig climber." Pig climber. Heh heh. Oh, the schoolyard taunts he must have dealt with. Guess he's laughing now, though. All the way to the bank.



And of course, there's Joachim. Looking sharp as always, my friend.



Seriously, this World Cup thing is turning out to be a lot of fun. It helps of course, when the team you're rooting for keeps winning its games. We joke that if it were possible, we'd sneak a tiny Germany jersey and soccer ball into the womb. May as well get the whole family in on the fun, right?

No comments: