I'm not an air conditioning sort of person. I don't mind sweating out the occasional hot streak, and I love ceiling fans. I also love open windows, simplicity, and saving money. And so on and so forth.
So yeah, sweat. The last few summers haven't really involved sweat so much as cooler weather, ceiling fans (bless their hearts!), and our lone rotating fan that occasionally swept over me as I went about my business. This summer has been different. It topped 100 a couple weeks ago, and has regularly pushed well past 90 in the days since. The air has occasionally been uncomfortably humid and there have been air quality warnings. We have spent many evenings slouching listlessly on the couch, eating applesauce and bran flakes for dinner (I ain't turning on no stove!), and letting the dishes pile up (I ain't letting no hot water touch my hands!). Our third-floor apartment has little air circulation, and it has been a little bit brutal.
*Pillow in the freezer. Yes, the pillow comes out smelling faintly of damp cardboard. Oh well.
*Wet washcloth in the freezer. Comes out of the freezer NOT smelling like cardboard. Bonus!
*Cold shower after work. This cools me down for a good 30 minutes. Bliss!
*Running ice cubes over my arms and neck.
*Putting a box fan in the window. It pulls in the cool air at night, letting me sleep peacefully.
*Going to the movies, where there is always air conditioning. Would I have seen Toy Story 3 and the Karate Kid if it weren't a million degrees out? Probably not.
*Sitting on a couch made of ice. Okay, that one's not real. I can't tell you how many times I've wished it was, though.
Only six weeks until September.
No comments:
Post a Comment