Maybe you, like me, live in an apartment. Alternatively, maybe you can remember living in one. Being in such close proximity can be tough, right? Especially in the summer when everyone's windows are open. You can hear TVs, and people talking and fighting three floors up. Additionally, you know they can hear you. In all your glory. They probably cringe while you sing off-key to embarrassing Kenny Rogers songs and judge you when you yell, shrew-like, at your softspoken husband. And don't even get me started on babies. I dread the day I will live above/below/next to a family with a new baby. Although of course I will understand.
Tonight though, while hunched over the Anglo American Cataloging Rules, I heard a woman singing somewhere nearby. She was clearly practicing some sort of voice exercise, because she kept singing the same opera-style tune over and over. It gave me a little thrill.
It's getting colder at night now, and we're probably going to close our windows in the next couple weeks. I welcome the privacy. I also hope that before it's too late I hear something unexpected, like a tuba at dusk.
9.23.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment