7.31.2008

A Couple Notes on Candy Fast


I continue to be amazed at how easy this is. I sat next to a box of canolis for 7 hours one day and barely blinked an eye. In addition, some of my mom's baked goods passed under my nose to Oliver's hands a couple weeks ago, and it didn't phase me a bit. Ah, the control. The power. Bwahahahahahahaha!


I've noticed a couple strange things, though. First, I think my taste buds have developed a greater sensitivity to the presence of sugar in my diet. The bread I make my lunchtime sandwiches with for example, suddenly tastes really sweet. Bread. Really. On top of that, I had a yogurt parfait thing yesterday that tasted like someone had mixed an enormous brick of marzipan into the yogurt and oatmeal. The sweetness was overpowering. There's no way yogurt can taste that sweet. Is there? Maybe there's a chemical reaction going on here, taste buds overcompensating. Either that or I bought a marzipan parfait. Either way... interesting.

Even more fun, three times now I have dreamed that I accidentally broke the fast. It was an enormous, gooey chocolate chip cookie in one dream, a piece of birthday cake in another. Crazy. I mean, how can you accidentally eat something you're focused on avoiding?
I was horrified in each dream. Upon waking, I was also a little embarrassed. My subconscious seems to be pretty worried about what I eat.

No comments: