I've always had an insatiable sweet tooth. Seriously, in 2007 there was probably not a day that passed without some little sweet or another. Same goes for 2006. And 2005. And so on. What can I say? I like dessert. And/or the sweet afternoon snack. And the late night handful of cookies. I don't usually like all these things in the same day though. Don't get the wrong idea.My sugar habit has never been a serious cause for concern. I mean, I don't smoke, I don't drink much, I rarely drink caffeine, I don't eat much salty or greasy stuff... can't I have my one little vice? Yes, yes I can. Pass me that Twix bar/ brownie/ red velvet cupcake/ strawberry rhubarb pie/ white chocolate-dipped macaroon/ Oreo/ peanut butter cookie/ piece of birthday cake (extra frosting please!).
Only what if I could kick the habit? In the back of my mind, I've always had this dream where I live on a diet of only the healthiest foods. No corn syrup, no aspartame, no grease, no cheeto dust... and no unnecessary sugar. It's all part of my quest to... honestly, what exactly is it that I'm I trying to do here? Live like the Amish? Like the Ingalls family? Like a wild animal free of vending machines and reality tv? I'll figure it out someday, but won't bore you with half-formed thoughts in the meantime. Getting to the point: Candy Fast 2008! I actually started this fast a month ago today, and have been surprised at how easy it has been. In the last month, I broke the fast only once. It was the 4th of July and we had one of those giant cookie cakes at our barbeque. Hey, you've got to live, right?
Anyhow, I've decided to start a little counter at the side of the screen. Not because it's necessarily something you're dying to know about, but because it sounds like fun to me. I'm not going to write a lot about Candy Fast either, because I suspect it doesn't make for engaging writing. What, you don't want to hear about the 7-layer bar I didn't eat today? I never knew you were so self centered.
The rules:
Out: candy, chocolate, cookies, cakes, pies, soda, etc. Basically anything that is obviously classified as junk food.
Not out: jam, honey, juice, and all those other things that are on the borderline. Also not out: salty things like potato chips and cheetos. I'll probably make more of an effort to avoid them (not that I eat them much to begin with) now that I'm on the healthy train, but they aren't part of the fast.
And a final note: I'm not going to completely avoid all sweets. When we're in Germany for example, I'll probably try a local dessert. I'm not trying to punish myself, after all. I just like streaks, and am interested to see how long I can keep this one going.
Onward then, to Candy Fast!
No comments:
Post a Comment