The porn store near our place closed down. I just noticed the "for lease" sign up today, and suddenly the things I've seen in recent weeks made sense. Like the workmen scraping the opaque shield material from the windows. Or the man who stood at the door one day while I was waiting at the corner for the "walk" signal to flash. I thought I was just imagining it at the time, but now I really think he was pressing his fingertips to the window and sighing. The store (lounge?) was on my walk home from the subway each day, and it was kind of fun to watch for people skulking in and out.
This might seem like a weird transition... I really love our neighborhood. We live on a quiet street that has been taken over by housecats, but at the same time we're just a few blocks from one of the liveliest streets in Toronto and the heart of Greektown - The Danforth. Stepping outside my front door and walking for 10 minutes, I have the option to go to:
- my dentist
- a really, really good sushi restaurant
- a taxidermy studio
- the dance studio where I take hip hop classes (don't laugh)
- an organic pizza place
- my hairdresser
- the store where I bought my new boots
- a book store
- 17 million Greek bakeries
The odds are pretty good that we'll leave Toronto in the next year... how can I give up my neighborhood?
No comments:
Post a Comment