Yesterday was the two year anniversary of the day Oliver and I first came to Canada. I don't think I've ever really told anyone the story beyond a quick sentence or two... but it's actually really interesting. And I feel like writing today, so I'm going to share it.
Before we left China, and after we had decided that we were going to stay together, Oliver and I had to figure out where we were going to live next. It had to be an English-speaking country, since I wanted to go somewhere I could get a "real" job (no bartending at a beachside dive in Mexico, for example). America was out, since green cards are hard to come by, and London was out too, since it would be
We flew from Milwaukee to Toronto on November 29, 2005 (picture of us waiting at the Milwaukee airport above left). When we got to customs at the airport in Toronto, we knew enough to keep quiet about our plans to look for jobs, since border officials really frown on the sort of guerilla immigration that we were attempting. Unfortunately, we hadn't put together a plausible story, and the border guards were incredibly suspicious. Rightfully so, really. We said we wanted to travel around Canada for the six coldest, darkest months of the year, and we couldn't name a single place we wanted to go other than Toronto. Riiiiight.
The experience/interrogation at the border really shook me up, and added to the already powerful fear that was building up within me. We didn't know a soul in Canada. We didn't have any leads for anything beyond a good hostel to stay at for our first night. There was no guarantee that I could get a work permit (as a German, Oliver qualified for a special program), which meant that I couldn't work anywhere, not even McDonald's, unless someone agreed to sponsor me. And sponsorship, as I later learned, is not easy to come by. That's a story for a different day, though.
Waking up my first morning in Toronto, I was overwhelmed. As much as I kind of hate to
We spent our first two days looking for housing. Toronto is teeming with new immigrants, and there's an extensive network of "guest houses". Guest houses are
I can't adequately describe how good it felt to have a home base. We were still cold, jobless, friendless and unsure of what to do next, but we had a room of our own to feel the uncertainty in private. On day three I sent out a resume while the snow fell outside our window... and I went so far as to feel cozy. Three days after this, our landlordess bumped us up to her other property, and this time we even had a tv in our room. We lived on the 8th floor of a giant, boxy building and overlooked the parking lot for the commuter train into the city. This was my first experience with joblessness, and every day I watched the commuters run to catch the train to work.
After we got settled, we fell into a pattern for the next couple months: send out resumes, read, go to interviews, hoard money. That last one was mostly me. I had $x to my name, and I was going to keep track of every cent because there was no way I was going broke. We bought macaroni and cheese, large bags of potatoes, and the materials to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We stood
January 20th:
$.95- mailed Grandma's card
$.67 - chocolate
$3.47 - milk
January 24th:
$3.00 - breakfast
$4.25 - Mississauga bus fare
$.76 - snack
$23.50 - groceries
Things eventually worked themselves out, of course. I won't pretend that this was a real hardship, or that I can understand what poverty or real uncertainty feels like. I will say though, that it was something that changed me a bit, and that I'm glad to have in my "stable" of experiences. I feel proud of myself for doing something that really frightened me, and awed by Oliver because it didn't phase him a bit. And even though I know it's a really cheesy thing to say I can't help myself so here it comes: Gol, isn't life amazing?
No comments:
Post a Comment