4.21.2009

Really?


I didn't look especially stellar today. A project kept me up late last night, and as I scraped the sand from my eyes I knew the day ahead would be long as well. Nothing terrible or overly stressful. Just long.


So getting ready this morning, I didn't have it in me to put forth any real effort. No makeup, no more than a perfunctory comb through the hair. My outfit, which I normally have a few minutes of fun each morning putting together, was an afterthought.

Clean and decent but not much else, I strapped on the laptop case, stuffed my notebooks, textbook and umbrella into another bag, and staggered down the street. A few steps down the road my sneakers started bothering my feet, and I started doing a shuffle thing meant to delay the onset of blisters. A block or so later I saw a woman crossing the street towards me. Black sweater, beautiful cognac suede skirt, black tights, black boots. Bouncy hair, bouncy step. Ugh. Just give me a goiter and an eyepatch already; let's get this over with.

A block later, I crossed paths with another one of my fellow JC residents. Baggy jeans, sweatshirt, baseball cap, swagger. "Hey sexy," he said.

Me? Really? Really? I know he said the same thing to every woman he passed that day, and I'm glad he didn't see it... but I had to smile.

2 comments:

Miss Taken said...

I LOVE THAT STORY! I love the days life life chooses to look you in the face, and instead of slapping you, it calls you sexy! That's the best thing ever!

Miss Taken said...

Obviously life hates me today because my brain thought faster than my fingers typed. Sorry that my comment was not perfect - but life isn't and I'm not fixing it!!! hahahahaa

life life