6.09.2008
A Turning Point
Today was the first day of my new job. I've got a full-time summer gig doing database work that will turn into a part-time job when I start school in the fall. The office is located up near 42nd and 5th Avenue, and I had a great time this morning playing "New York City commuter". I was also reminded, for the millionth time, that I have to update my wardrobe. The women here are looking fierce! I feel like a lecherous old man, staring down every girl I pass. I can't help it though; they give me so many good ideas. I've even gone so far in my flight of inspired fancy to buy a pair of earrings and a belt. Accessories? Am I really so extravagant and up with fashion?
I got to the office a little too early this morning, and decided to wait it out in a deli down the block. Since it was only morning and already somewhere around 95 degrees, I took advantage of the time to hydrate. After hemming and hawing for awhile (lately I've become really frustrated with beverages. If you want to avoid both caffeine and sugar, what are your options? Tasteless water? Piping hot herbal tea on a flames-of-hell-powered summer day? Curse you juice... for years I thought you were my friend.), I settled on a freshly squeezed orange juice. You can't go wrong, right? I mean, take a piece of fruit and drink it. Perfect. Once I paid and sat down to drink though, I noticed that the juice had an unusual color to it. It looked too light... like grapefruit juice.
I will generally eat just about anything, but I do have a short list of restrictions: olives, coffee and grapefruit. I point to these foods as evidence that I am a supertaster, a claim my brother rolls his eyes at (That's 'cause you're jealous!). Today then, when faced with a large cup of freshly-squeezed grapefruit, I had to sigh. I couldn't bring it back, because it would just get thrown out and wasted. I decided to at least try it then, and I was pleasantly surprised. Wow, it's not as bitter as I remember it being! It actually quenches my thirst! All these years, all those demands to my mother to not include grapefruit in fruit salads... isn't grapefruit one of those super foods, too? A new day has dawned!Grapefruit for breakfast! A ruby red feast! And while we're at it, roll out the olive cart! Bring me a cup of coffee! Let us climb to the top of Mount Tastebudschangeasyougetolderhuhwhowouldhavethought! Friends, we have a new world to explore.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment