6.17.2008

Gored by the Bull


I've been having a real problem with clothing lately. As I mentioned before, where I work you can't swing a stick without hitting an attractive, well-dressed woman. My own wardrobe, fair to middling even in the locales most likely to inflate my perception of my own stylishness (rural China, for example), now seems atrocious in comparison. My clothes are suddenly all out of date and unflattering. The lengths are wrong and the cuts are wrong. My shoes make my calves look chunky and my pants make my legs look stubby. Everything is just ick. Including me, really. Am I really the girl who stapled her pants together this morning because she was too lazy to get them hemmed? I don't want to be that girl.


Luckily enough, there are hundreds of solutions to my silly little problem scattered across the city. Department stores, boutiques, flea markets, vintage stores and everything in between. All I have to do is go out and
shop.

I did just that, briefly, after work tonight. Taking this bull by the horns, I stopped by the J. Crew near my office and perused their wares. I tried on about 10 different items, felt eh about nine of them, and ended up buying one really cute shirt. It was on sale too, which made me feel even better. In my newshirtphoria I even busted out the iron tonight to get New Shirt ready for tomorrow. It was when I had started ironing that I noticed the hole.

There was a hole in my new shirt! How had I not seen that? And upon closer inspection, how had I not seen that other hole? And that third hole next to the other two? It was a sale shirt too, which means no refunds, no exchanges. I wonder if the clerk who rang me up knew. Maybe that's why he looked me dead in the eye and said "final sale". J. Crew. Huh, more like J.
Screw.

No comments: