12.21.2007

Cherry Walnut Beasts


My plan last night was to spend about 30 minutes baking Cherry Walnut Bars - a nice, homemade gift for some co-workers before the big Christmas break. From start to finish, "start" being the opening of the cookbook and "finish" being the bitter taste of defeat, I made three trips to the store, spilled maraschino cherry juice on the recipe, baked the crust too long, didn't chop the cherries finely enough, and screwed up the frosting so that instead of blending nicely with the powdered sugar, the butter clumped together in oily, mucus-y globules.
I also fouled just about every mixing bowl we own. Incidentally, I know that "fouled" isn't really the right word to use, but the image it evokes is perfect.

Today I gave my co-workers an explanation of why they weren't receiving anything from me, and a look at the photo I had taken of the failed bars. More importantly though, I gave them the gift of not having to eat the total crap that I had just baked. Do you wish you worked with me?


1 comment:

hip-hop-annonymous said...

Merry Christmas!!!! :)

Best line of your post: "More importantly though, I gave them the gift of not having to eat the total crap that I had just baked."

Classic. I loved it! See you in a few days.