8.03.2007

Harry Potter and the Pathetic Little Collection of Harry Potter Books

Last night I finished reading the final Harry Potter book. I've always liked the books, but I've never been a hard core fan. Never went to Borders at midnight, never wore a Gryffindor scarf, never joined forums on mugglenet - that sort of thing. I own all seven books, but until last week I had never actually bought one. I just sort of picked them up as I went along, and I realized this week as I was looking at them that they tell an interesting story of their own.

Book 4 for example, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: I got this one while working a book distribution at First Book. The cover was sliced open (scotch tape repair job visible below), so we couldn't give it to any kids... I'll take that one thank you very much. Some of the first pages were sliced too, but I thought it gave the book character. And it was free.


Then there's Book 5, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I got this one at Book Expo America, the ABSOLUTE GREATEST trade show IN THE WORLD. It's for the publishing industry, and every publisher in America is there, giving away free copies of their new titles. They were handing out free Harry Potters! And the book cover even had a special design. Again, this book had character. And again, it was free.


But then my magical connection to free Harry Potter books was lost, and I found myself in a neighborhood bookstore last week buying Book 6, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. They don't sell the American version here, so I bought the British version, complete with strange cover art and British slang. (Oi Harry! Don't be a git. Quit snogging my bloody sister!)


This past Monday Oliver was thoughtful enough to go and pick me up a copy of the final installment. Turns out the store was out of the kids' version and he bought the "adult version" of the book. This was an exciting thought at first but then turned out just to mean that the cover looks different.


So now I have this sad little collection of mismatched Harry Potter books. A couple hardcovers, a few paperbacks, some box cutter slashes, and a mishmash of cover art. (I never realized how into cover art I was... as a result I found this site really interesting) I have to admit it's sort of killing me not to have a nice, neat row of same-size books lined up next to each other. Oh well. Makes for a good story.

2 comments:

BeeKay said...

I enjoyed your tales of the various Harry Potter covers you have, but my brain keeps coming back to Book Expo America. Oh my Lord. They give away books? I am so amazingly jealous. Is there any way to fake being part of the publishing industry? Any way at all?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think there is a way. You can buy a day pass for maybe something like $50. It's a three day conference and there not only are the publishers giving away copies of upcoming books (I got a hardcover David Sedaris book once! The new Philip Roth novel! All kinds of stuff!), but there are also hundreds of authors there autographing their books. The times are listed in the big conference guidebook - honestly, it's paradise.

It's also held in Chicago once in awhile. Or at least it used to be. You should go - bring a rolling suitcase or grocery getter to store all your FREE books in.