2.14.2014

This is the view we will miss



This is the view out our living room windows. Do you see the snowy courtyard fountain down below? So peaceful, right? And look at those lights off in the distance! Jersey. Maybe Bayonne? I've never figured out exactly what it is.

I love this view. The night view, especially. I've always had a thing for the lights of a city at night, and those Jersey lights make me feel calmer when I'm anxious, more inspired when I'm blah, and luckier when I'm frustrated. Look at those lights out there. Are they twinkling? All that humanity in this great big city. Millions and millions of lives worth. What a world.

How can we be leaving this magnificent place? We are leaving, and more importantly we want to leave... but how is this possible? What about our amazing friends? Our playgrounds, our museums, our subway, the energy... the views?

Off to Frankfurt. Language, home (for one of us), adventure, (ironically, at a time in my life when I have never placed a lower value on adventure) here we go. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that we are doing the right thing, and I say goodbye with no hand wringing. But oh...

No comments: