11.27.2013

Ikea Monday

    

Monday morning. It was cold and energy levels were low. We had no social plans, and things at home were already starting to get out of hand. As much as I love having help in the kitchen...



A: Nils, what do you want to do today? Library? Playspa-

N: Go to Ikea!

A: (double take) Uh, really?

N: Yeah! I want to go to Ikea!

A: (Shoulders feel lighter as I realize I don't have to say no to this) You know what, kid? Sure. Let's do it.

N. Ikea! Ikea! (jumps up and down)

I'm not sure where it comes from, but Nils loves Ikea. We go there a couple times a year, and one of those trips must have really made an impression on him. I'll give credit where credit is due too, because it's actually a pretty nice outing.

You get to ride the bus there. If you're Nils, that's a big plus.

You can eat there. The food is cheap, and the Monday-at-11:30a.m.-cafeteria is nearly empty. The views are pretty awesome, too. Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan out one window, and a parking lot full of school buses out the other. Again, if you're Nils that school bus lot is a pretty big plus.




You can play with kids' toys and furniture. I don't think Ikea actually wants you to play with the toys and furniture in their children's department, but whatever. Eat it, Ikea. I'm out of ideas today and my daughter likes this crinkle book.



When the children's department gets old, (or crowded. Ha! You guys look exhausted too!) there's the rest of the store. You can open every closet door in every sample bedroom. You can sit on sample sofas. Touch everything. Go to town, kid. No one's here to be annoyed by your shenanigans.

No comments: