Whew. Hey, it's been awhile, right?
Things are nuts. Totally, beautifully nuts. Wonderful, but not exactly conducive to leisure activities (i.e. blogging). I miss my little blog. I like posting pictures and organizing my thoughts. Thoughts... organized ones. I used to have those...
Where do I even begin? And how much time do I have? Both my children are asleep for the night, which means that one will wake up screaming, oh, any time now. How many minutes do I have to sit here and enjoy this down time? Should I enjoy this down time? Would it not perhaps be better to sit here and think about all the other things I should be doing?
I read a Real Simple magazine 10 years ago that had a little collection of time saving tips. One woman had written in a real gem: "I used to write in my journal. Now I put that time to more efficient use: I clean!" My eyes bugged out a little when I read that, and I knew that would never be me. Never.
Yup, 'cause that's not at all what I'm doing right now. Not at all.
It's just that I'm so stinkin' adaptable. Within weeks of Liv's birth I had lost all desire for activities beyond childcare and housework. Reading? Pfffft. Sewing? Whaaaa? Activities outside the home with other adults? Okay, now you're just being weird.
I thought I would look at moments of solitude the way a man dying of thirst looks at a clear, cold stream. Oddly enough, I just end up sitting on the couch, confused and a bit bored. (Should I start cleaning?)
In recent weeks though, I've been really trying to "normalize." I'll take some small thing that fell away when Liv was born, and add it back into my life. Using G diapers instead of disposables. Cooking real food. Reading an article in a magazine. And so forth. Maybe this blog post, as choppy and badly written as it may be, is a step in a good direction. Gol, I do miss thinking.
Oh, and Liv knits! Before I forget!
First, the little pixie hat I made for her. Look at that little nose! And look at her, conked out in the baby carrier (she was just a month old in these photos). Oh, such a darling.
Next, her little blue cable sweater. Alas, no indulgent photo shoot this time. (Oh, second child!) Just a fuzzy shot taken at the pediatrician's. 5 days old!
My personal favorite, the "In Threes" cardigan. I will absolutely be making this in a larger size come fall.
And every child deserves to wear the "manly baby vest". Best sweater vest. Ever.
More soon? I'd like that. I don't want to be a woman whose only hobby is cleaning. I can see myself going there, and it's a dark place.




No comments:
Post a Comment