Nils turned two back in January. There is so much I could say about it vis-a-vis what an amazing little kid he is, how much he has made our lives better, how much we have learned from / because of him, etc. I would love to write about all this at length, but the reality is that tomorrow is the official due date for Nils's little sister and I don't have it in me to string too many thoughts together.
Much simpler: photos! Of things I made for him! (For his birthday!) First up: the Giggi cake (pronunciation key: two hard Gs) Giggi is Nils's absolute favorite toy. He came up with the name himself - we have no idea where it came from - and Giggi comes with us almost everywhere we go. Giggi even made it into our family pictures this year:
Nils's birthday fell on a Monday this year, and since we weren't doing an actual party that day I wanted to make a little cake for just the three of us. He's such a little person now, with favorite things and quirky little interests; I really wanted the cake to be something that he would get excited about. What could possibly be more exciting than his best friend?
I was really proud of myself here. The fur and the muzzle are just slightly different shades. Ah, nuance. Just what you want in a homemade birthday cake.
Also part of our at-home birthday festivities: the birthday banner I made for him last year. I have grand visions of making this banner a part of every birthday (for both kiddos). They won't pay too much attention to it, but someday way down the line they'll stumble across it in a storage box and get hit with a wave of nostalgia.

Also part of our at-home birthday festivities: the birthday banner I made for him last year. I have grand visions of making this banner a part of every birthday (for both kiddos). They won't pay too much attention to it, but someday way down the line they'll stumble across it in a storage box and get hit with a wave of nostalgia.

Lastly, a quick shot of the birthday cake I made for Nils's joint birthday party with one of his best buddies. Both little guys love taxis, so this was a no brainer.

The taxi cake was not my best work, but people at the party were so taken aback that someone actually MADE a cake that no one seemed to mind the slightly sloppy work. And Nils and his buddy were both excited. "Taxi!" - that's a direct quote.
While I'm at it, my best work. It's the cake I made last year for Nils's first birthday. A robot cake, back when we still had to guess what sorts of things he might be into. (Oliver's still hoping he'll turn out to be an engineer)
While I'm at it, my best work. It's the cake I made last year for Nils's first birthday. A robot cake, back when we still had to guess what sorts of things he might be into. (Oliver's still hoping he'll turn out to be an engineer)



No comments:
Post a Comment