It has become a joke between us, Storm King. I've been talking about it forever - "we need to go to Storm King." "Once the weather cools down, let's do a day trip to Storm King." "Once spring is here, let's go to Storm King." It's far enough away though, and hard enough to get to, that our best-laid plans have never matured into action.
Until this past weekend. Finally.
Storm King Art Center is a 500-acre sculpture garden, though to call it a "sculpture garden" misses the point. "Sculpture landscape" I believe, is another term often used. It is about an hour and a half from the city, and... wow. No photos I took can do it justice; please believe me when I say that it is beautiful. The sculptures and the landscape work together, and the result is so much more than anything I have seen in a traditional museum setting.
An added bonus for us: it is child friendly. There is no way I would take Nils to an art museum. Storm King was different. Lots of open space to run around in, enough distance between us and the "normal people" to make shrieks and an overabundance of energy totally okay. He ran around with abandon:
Rolled around in the grass (with a little help):
Paused occasionally to maybe? look at the art?
Nope. Just looking for rocks.
No comments:
Post a Comment