10.12.2009

Ready for some Football



When I was an undergrad at AU there was no football. The school doesn't have a team and even if it did, no one would have gone to games. We weren't a school spirit kind of student body. Or more accurately, we bonded as students in a spirity way over the fact that we had no school spirit. This situation may not be for everyone, but I liked it.

When I came to Rutgers though, "football game" was on my list of things to do. I like football games. I like the atmosphere of a college football game. The undergraduate hooligans are fun to watch, as are the families and older folks who fill out the crowd. The marching bands are always great, with their halftime medleys of Led Zepplin songs. And maybe best of all, it's fall. The sky is blue, the air is cold, and I'm always brought back to my days as a cheerleader in junior high. I loved cheering for football games.

With all this in mind, I took Oliver to the Rutgers homecoming game this past weekend. I love giving him "authentic American" experiences, and what's more American than football? (a rodeo? trick or treating? the purchase of a pickup truck?)


Rutgers
killed Texas Southern, 40something - 0.

I took pictures of the sky.


We sat - one in a tweed jacket and the other in a brown sweatshirt - in a sea of red. Oops.

A group of guys dressed in colonial costumes shot off a canon every time Rutgers scored. Fully sanctioned by Rutgers, of course. I think so, anyhow.

Oliver had the biggest smile on his face, ear to ear. He was so excited.


No comments: