I was in La Paz's Witches' Market when I saw Ekeko. The Witches' Market sells all sorts of things to be used in tribal religious rituals - llama fetuses, fake money to be burned in offering, powders, vials, etc. Some stands, depending on the time of year, also sell Ekeko dolls. Ekeko is the god of household wealth, and a steady stream of sacrifices and offerings to him is said to ensure good fortune (the money kind) for your home in the coming year. He is said to be a demanding god, and loves cigarettes and booze.
He also has a mustache. That probably isn't so relevant, but I think the mustache really sold me.
I bought this little doll for about $5 US, and became obsessed with protecting his more fragile parts from chippage and crushage as we moved from place to place. We had a 15 hour bus ride at one point, and I held him in my lap the whole time. It was worth it in the end - he made it back to Brooklyn with only minor damage. He is now sitting on a bookshelf, grinning out at us from under the weight of the car, house, money, confetti, and food that hang from his shoulders.
Tribal religious rituals! How cute!
Only since we got home, some strange things have been happening:
- I washed Oliver's brand-new sleeping bag (according to the instructions!) and it came out ripped and melted in little spots. Wha???
- Oliver broke a lamp while trying to close a window.
- I noticed a giant rip in our bedsheet.
- Our kitchen became infested with flour weevils, and we had to throw out all the grain-based products that were not sealed air-tight.
- I discovered a leak in our ceiling.
- One of Oliver's favorite pairs of pants basically exploded. The rips - the humanity!
- Ditto for his favorite shirt. A hole in the elbow.
...
And while I'm at it, here is my other vacation purchase:
The best part? The llama didn't come with the hat. I sought that out separately because I felt this need (NEED!) to put a hat on it.
1 comment:
Great call on the llama hat.
Post a Comment