4.20.2008

T Minus Less Than A Week

One week from this moment I should be in Jersey City, sleeping the sleep of the truly exhausted on the mattress we managed to drag out of the U-Haul truck before we called it a day. We're moving next weekend, and that means that today (unless Blogger counts this post as Sunday, since it's after midnight) was my last Saturday in Toronto. The gods were kind to me and made it a beautiful day, and I managed to take advantage of the weather and made a mini farewell tour of some places I have loved here. Nowhere near comprehensive of course; how can you cover a city in one day?


Queen Street East, Leslieville:

I didn't spend much time in Leslieville until after Oliver had left for New York, but I've gone there regularly since. I think it might be my favorite neighborhood in the city. It was apparently a gaping wound up until a few years ago, and there is still a generous helping of pawn shops (photo above) thrown in with the organic brunch restaurants lining Queen Street. It's got a great gritty feel to it, and I spent a bit of time this morning taking pictures of graffiti/murals and old, worn-out signs (below).





Front Street, St. Lawrence Market:

Love that mural. Love the market too. I went in today for what I imagine will be the last time, and ordered what I imagine will be my last ever cheese blintz from the little Eastern European lunch counter in the basement.



Rogers Centre sculpture with CN tower:

The Rogers Centre doesn't really have that much sentimental value for me - though I took Oliver to his first ever baseball game there, to see the Blue Jays play the Nationals - but I love the photo. I also remember flying in to Toronto for the first time and seeing the tower from my window. There was so much uncertainty then; it's nice to take a peek at the tower once in awhile and remind myself how well things turned out.

I'm starting to feel fairly emotional about my impending departure, but that's a good thing. In some situations, it feels good to be sad and wistful. I love sitting here and thinking all these nostalgic thoughts of Toronto, because it reminds me again and again what a wonderful experience I've had here. I hope the sadness overwhelms me as we drive away next Saturday morning - it'll feel fantastic.

No comments: