4.07.2008

L'il Bitta Bike Love


All right, now that the dam is broken, the floodwaters come pouring out! I feel inspired to write today (partly because of that just-gave-my-notice euphoria).

The weather has just started to turn beautiful here, and everyone seems to be giddy. It was a long winter with a LOT of snow, and Torontonians are just now creeping out of their houses and turning their faces up to the sun. My own face is getting some of that sunlight thanks in part to my beautiful bike. Two days in the last week I skipped my usual combination of subway and bus, choosing instead to make the commute to work on my own power.

What a kick. At different times I love it or hate it - the "hate" part usually kicking in 20 minutes into the trip, and the "love" part taking over once I've finished riding. Even though it's still pretty chilly in the mornings, I manage to sweat profusely in the course of my ride, and show up at the office red faced and sticky. My attempts at temperature control don't go much beyond unzipping my jacket part way, and that unfortunately gives me a bit of a sail effect, which is frustratingly inefficient on mornings like today, when the (f*@king) wind blew in my face from start to finish.

There's a long list of positives to go with the negatives, though. My favorite is the loop of thoughts that runs through my head as I ride. It goes a little something like this:

I'm saving $4.20 in public transit fares today...

This is a zero-emission commute...

What an incredible workout. And I'll do it
twice today...

It's so nice to be outside...

It's a win win win win situation. I love those.


No comments: