3.13.2008

Illuminated Manuscripts

Illustrated books: is there a tiny stigma attached to them? You know, you can't handle a full-on book, so look at these pictures and give your mind a rest. Are they for children? Are you supposed to grow out of them?

Naaah. In recent months I've read a number of illustrated books, and have been taken in by the pictures of each. Some were stylish or beautiful, and some added to the story. I thought I'd post a few pictures here, since I love looking at them too much not to share them.


The Bridge of San Luis Rey, by Thornton Wilder


This book is number 37 on the MLA's list of the 100 greatest English language novels of the 20th Century. I've had a copy of this list for years, and check off one entry or another from the list on occasion. I found San Luis Rey at a "friends of the library" book sale last summer and read it while Oliver and I were in Montreal last fall. It's a beautiful story... I highly recommend it... but instead of a plot summary I'll just show you one of its illustrations:Beautiful! And it's from a really old copy too - from 1928 if I'm reading things right. The pages are thick and have a smell to them that reminds me of my elementary school library. The artist, a woman named Amy Drevenstedt, has captured Esteban as he walks through the late-night streets of Lima. Esteban's twin brother is in love but swears he will not leave Esteban for the woman. Heavy-hearted, Esteban knows he is in his brother's way.


The Cricket in Times Square, by George Selden

I love this story, and I love the Garth Williams' illustrations just as much. Chester the Cricket, a country cricket from Connecticut, accidentally winds up in the Times Square subway station with no idea how to get back home. Amidst the clamor of the city he befriends Tucker the Mouse and Harry the Cat, and the two take him outside to see the Square one evening:
Just perfect! I can feel the heat of the city, squint in the face of the neon, and feel as small as the cricket in the crush of all those people rushing from here to there. Such danger, such awe, and such safety in the company of your friends.


The Mystery at Lilac Inn, by Carolyn Keene
Lilac Inn is the first Nancy Drew I ever read, way back in the third grade. A recent re-reading leaves me a little less impressed with Nancy's detecting methods, but no matter. I love the feel of these books. Look at Nancy there, with her "titian blonde hair" and impossibly slim figure in a sheath dress with pearls. And we're supposed to believe she's 18? I'm still waiting for the day that I look that sophisticated. 20 years after the first read and one thing hasn't changed: Nancy Drew makes me feel like a loser.

In all seriousness though, I love this world she lives in. People get married at the respectable age of 21 to young captains of industry. They have luncheons. No one works or goes to school; they just have adventures and win the respect of those around them. Everything is as tidy and crisp as the pictures lead you to believe.

No comments: