9.16.2007

Forks of the Credit

It looks like summer is over, and my favorite season has begun. Fall! I have all these visions of cold nights, pumpkin farms, dry leaves under my feet on the sidewalk. Gol, I can't wait. The only problem here is that fall is really short, and the crushing oppression of winter follows. In a strange way though, I think that's why I love fall so much - just like I love movies with heartbreaking death scenes.

The shortness of fall combined with lengthy list of to-dos means I constantly keep this little countdown in my head. Only x weeks left; I need to do this and this and this... It actually makes me less productive, because I get so overwhe
lmed by the thoughts of things I want to/should do that I just collapse on my couch.

Having spent th
e last couple weekends overwhelmed like that, I decided that today would be different. We only have x weeks of nice weather left and damnit we're going OUT.

And so today we ended up at Forks of the Credit Provincial Park, an unfortunately-named but beautiful park about an hour and a half outside of the city. It was exactly what I had been hoping for; brightly-lit woods, wildflower-filled meadows and easy trails. The leaves are just beginning to turn too, which is exciting.

We hiked for about three hours, and I was struck, as I often am, by how much southern Ontario looks like southern Wisconsi
n. Similar trees, similar farms, similar landscapes complete with moraines, etc. Forks of the Credit even reminds me of another - and much funnier - unfortunately-named park from my hometown, Bong Recreation Area. I guess that's just human though, to see new things in the context of your old things.

And as a side note, Oliver wore his new hiking boots - the boots he bought w
ith his birthday gift card to Mountain Equipment Co-op. Thanks gift givers! He doesn't have to wear his circa 1994 army boots any more!

1 comment:

BeeKay said...

Bong! That's one of those things that, growing up with it, didn't become funny until much later than it otherwise would have. But thanks for reminding me that I need to get out to Owen Conservation Park sometime this month. (Today was 84, though. Bring back fall!)