We've been here for a year now. A year! I feel totally immersed in and simultaneously completely removed from the culture here. That's what happens when your German skills are at the intermediate level, I suppose. I've collected a few observations... mind if I share them?
1. Closed for Urlaub.
Okay, so it's a given that Sundays are a little painful here. The shops are all closed, most of the restaurants are closed... the country basically shuts down. I love this, because yes! Time off! Thank you Germany, for understanding the importance of slowing down! Yes yes, let us spend time with our friends and families! Hm... where should we go with our friends and families? To the park / playground, perhaps? Can't really go anywhere else, since EVERYTHING is closed.
How about the coffee shop, says the friend.
Yes, that's the ticket. Let's get a coffee. We can sit for a bit, maybe have a slice of cake while we're at it.
"We make vacation."
Crap.
Smaller businesses here regularly take time off - a week or two at a time seems to be the norm. This is sometimes super annoying - "What?! Our favorite bakery is closed for two weeks? What are we supposed to eat?!" - but I get it. The American in me is concerned about the loss of income, but good on ya, Cafe Coo Coo. Enjoy your time off.
2. Are you washing darks? Whites? Colors?
Please enjoy this snapshot of my neighbor's washing machine. This is pretty standard for my laundry room. There are separate bottles of detergent for colors, darks, whites, delicates, etc. Painting a nation with really broad strokes, I'd say that Germans like to be well equipped. Why use only one bottle of detergent when so many others have been engineered to meet all your laundry needs? Why just walk in the park when you can use 15% less energy with your nordic walking poles? German children seem to be dressed in a complicated system of layers - tights under pants, undershirts under regular shirts under sweaters, slippers over socks. Depending on where you are (home? kindergarten? outside?), they will wear all or a few of those layers. Maintaining optimal comfort, I suppose. Why wear one shirt when three can be used in combination to make things that much better for you.
3. They are just not into signage
This, below, is a really nice store. I bought a fancy pair of jeans here, and they seem to do a really brisk business. Look at that sign, though! What is that? The "E" in "Elite" has been missing for MONTHS. And look closer. Do you see the other letters held up by duct tape? Duct tape!
3. They are just not into signage
This, below, is a really nice store. I bought a fancy pair of jeans here, and they seem to do a really brisk business. Look at that sign, though! What is that? The "E" in "Elite" has been missing for MONTHS. And look closer. Do you see the other letters held up by duct tape? Duct tape!
Maybe this doesn't come across so dramatically in writing, but the signage / ambiance thing here is so strange to me. Don't you want to whisk me away to a fantasy world where your product makes my life so much better? How are we supposed to get there together when your sign is being held up by duct tape? Maybe I'm missing something here.
4. People say everything is so expensive in Europe
That might be true. Many things are very expensive here. You know what, though? I can think of three things off the top of my head that are very reasonably priced:
- Medicine
- Food
- Childcare
Also, did I mention that women get a year off after the birth of a child? That a job is held for them for up to three years? That men get paternity leave? I like the priorities here.
5. Someone engineered my muesli. Really.
I was pouring muesli into a bowl the other morning, and noticed that the cornflakes, dried strawberries and puffed rice came out in perfect proportion to the oats. Next day, same thing. Day after that, ditto. Don't certain ingredients always pour out first, and other sink to the bottom of the container? I truly believe that someone at Seitenbacher took the time to figure out how to get the perfect pour every time. So many items in our daily life have that same tinge to them, the "German engineering" feel. I should really start making a list.



No comments:
Post a Comment