8.22.2014
Bike people
When we lived in Beijing, Oliver and I bought bicycles. They were dirt cheap and broke down a lot, but they took us everywhere. This wasn't such a big deal for Oliver, since he came from one of the most bike-friendly cities in one of the most bike-friendly countries in the world... but for me? It was something of a revelation.
I had always wanted to be a bike person. I had never wanted it enough though, to go out and make myself into one. I needed a little nudge, and once I had it I was hooked. We biked two hours to a tea market once, just because we could. Bikes! We dodged buses and melted into crowds of cyclists. In the course of my rides to all corners of town, I discovered that biking allowed me to feel like I was a part of every place I traveled through. In cars I have always been impatient and frustrated, wishing I can get to my destination and regretting that I can't connect with any of the things I'm passing. Biking changed all that, and made the journey every bit as desirable as the destination.
When we moved to Canada we bought "real" bikes, and Oliver rode his to work most of the time. I did too once in awhile, but I was back to public transit as my default and cycling as a weekend hobby. New York was even harder, and each baby put a one year hold on any rides we would take.
But then - but then! - we moved here. The babies were kiddos, and the streets were screaming at us. "Get on your bikes!" Grandmothers, families with bike trailers, two year olds (I am not kidding. Two year olds)... everybody was on a bike. The city was set up for it, the streets were safe for it. We decided not to buy a car, and bought a bike trailer instead. And I'm going to try and say this now, though I warn you it may take me a few tries to do it without squealing:
We are bike people!
Oliver rides to work every day, even in torrential downpours. The kids and I ride every day - to the zoo, the pediatrician, playgroup. On the weekends we head out as a foursome, sometimes for a 20-mile trek to a cool Altstadt, and sometimes just 15 minutes down the road to get some currywurst.
The happiness I get from this is multi-layered, and sometimes as I'm flying downhill on a sunny morning with the promise of a good outing before me, layers peel back and I enjoy many of them at once. I am a part of this place! We are keeping things simple! Wheeeee, so fast! My kids think biking is the default!
Will they love it the way I do? They're certainly on their way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment