I've said it before: I'm not a beach person. I've been thinking recently that maybe I should change the tense on that statement: I wasn't a beach person. I still hate the heat and the sun, but there's something primally good about sand, wind and water. I have found myself, in recent weeks, plotting beach Saturdays for this summer. We're going on vacation soon, and it will involve some beach time.
I would ask myself "why this change of heart, why this sudden appreciation of sand and wind and blah blah blah..." but the answer is just so obvious:
I love helping him discover all these simple, natural things. What a kick to watch him sift sand through his fingers. There is nothing cuter than holding him back from running headlong into the water, then standing back as he points at the waves. "Da!"
This was our "dry run" today - a trip to Coney Island. It was cloudy and cool by the water, so we kept our jackets on and enjoyed having the beach practically to ourselves.
In the afternoon the clouds cleared, and by early evening it was absolutely perfect outside. Sunny and cool. We had leftovers in the fridge and a strong desire to be outside, so we grabbed the necessities for a picnic. Dinner out in Prospect Park, another highly anticipated summer activity! Potato salad, radishes on bread, kefir, and the chance to run around in the grass.
Our crocodile pull toy came along for the fun. And when the crocodile got old, there was a ball to practice throwing. A perfect evening. Made me look forward to summer.
1 comment:
It totally makes sense why you'd appreciate things of nature even more now. What a cutie that little man is!
Post a Comment