11.24.2009

The Commute

 


I commute from Brooklyn to Rutgers about twice a week. It's two hours each way. Yikes, right? Whenever I mention this commute to someone I get a look of pity, and probably for good reason. Who wants to spend four hours of their day in transit? I read a book recently that cited a study on happiness. People who win the lottery, it seems, generally return to their old levels of happiness after about a year. Same goes for those who suffer spinal cord injuries. People can adapt to just about anything. Anything that is, but a long commute. According to this study there is no end to the misery you will suffer en route as you waste hour after hour, year after year.



I guess I'm a unique individual then (my parents were right!!), because I've gotten used to it. Unbelievably, on a good day I even enjoy the trip. I took a camera with me today - this bleak, gray Tuesday - and took a few pictures. 

*          *          *


The walk from my apartment to the subway station. I love this stretch of street. Brownstones, old trees. 









My subway station. The frenzied scramble to the platform when I hear a train coming  (because waiting three minutes for the next train - death!).  Alternately--  pulling a book out on the platform while I wait for the 2 to arrive.






Penn Station. An uncharacteristically calm scene. Trying to walk among the throngs to my commuter train always reminds me of that F. Scott Fitzgerald quote: "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." Boats against the current indeed. I've done some experimenting and have discovered that if I square my shoulders and stand up ramrod straight, people seem to block my path less.






NJ Transit to New Brunswick. Since I'm commuting against traffic, there are always plenty of seats. Paradise! Sip my tea, read my book...








Watch the poor, polluted Meadowlands fly past...






Catch a glimpse of Newark...






Arrive at my destination, a full day behind me and a full day ahead.


Yikes.




2 comments:

BeeKay said...

1. The last sentence of Gatsby! Always makes me think of 10th grade.

2. Exactly when did Tim Horton's come to the U.S.?

Asteff said...

Timmy's! It's been in New York since the summer, but most locations seem to be barebones, half-Wendy's-half-Tim-Horton's.