7.30.2009

I have to wonder what he thinks of us now


About a year ago, Oliver cashed in some frequent flier miles for magazine subscriptions. He was really proud of himself. "Alli," he said. "I got us three great subscriptions - The Economist, New York Magazine, and Time Out New York."

"Time Out New York?" I replied. "That's great! We'll be so tuned in to what's going on..."

"Yes," he replied. "Out Magazine."

"Wait wait wait... did you say
Out or Time Out New York?"

"They're the same thing, right?"

"No, they're not." (Disappointed head shake) "One is a guide to New York City, and the other is a fashion and culture magazine for gay men."

"Oh."

Would life be as fun if Oliver spoke and understood English flawlessly?

So it wasn't planned, but it turned out well.
Out was a good magazine, and the unexpected subscription gave me the chance to see inside a demographic that I'm not always so tuned in to. Then June came along, and we moved. Two months passed and we still had not gotten around to transferring our subscriptions. Had they run out? Eh, we'd think about that later.

"Later" came tonight, when Oliver got an email from our old landlord, Bill. Bill is a nice guy, if a little shady. He's now living in the apartment we rented from him last year, and he wrote Oliver to let him know that we have some magazines waiting for us.

Oh yeah. About those. Um...


2 comments:

Miss Taken said...

I am seriously laughing really hard right now! That stuff just does NOT happen to normal people. I thought it only happened to me. I love it. Your whole post was like watching an episode of 'Friends'!

Bola said...

LOL. It's too funny. And I'd have thought you were making it up . . .