12.17.2008

Up for Air

I had my last class of the semester tonight. All the projects are done, the presentations given, the exams taken. A beautiful month of seeing friends and family, reading books for pleasure, enjoying New York city and cooking actual meals lies ahead of me. There's a neat German expression that captures the way I feel right now - "seele baumeln lassen" - to let the soul swing. I'm going to let my soul swing for awhile.

My class tonight was actually a little inspiring. People brought in treats (which I ate - I ended Candy Fast last week), and we all chatted and laughed together about Dewey Decimal Classification and Library of Congress Subject Headings. The professor told us we were one of the best groups she'd ever taught, and we ended up giving her a round of applause mixed with some little cheers when class ended. Classmates exchanged emails, made plans to get together, and confirmed which classes they'd be taking together next semester.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed, but I really enjoy school. I'm glad I'm studying what I'm studying, and am equally glad to be studying with the people I've met this past semester. I still have fairly hard-core fantasies of getting back into the real world and working like a normal person, but that's a good thing. I like to think it means I'll adjust well when the time comes, and look back on school fondly.

On to Christmas!

1 comment:

BeeKay said...

I know how you feel! Sort of. We have a big deadline at work tomorrow morning, which we've been working toward for more than a month. And at last, I'm done.